Monday, February 4, 2013

A Sister's Gift

Chris and I have long had a name picked out that we had always thought would belong to our third daughter.  It's one of the few that we have agreed upon and even shortens to a nickname that would go perfectly with her sisters'.  So when we first found out that we would be having a third child, we knew that if we were having a girl her name was covered.

Before we knew this baby was to be a little girl, we just used "Baby" anytime we talked about the baby in Mommy's tummy.  This included nightly in our prayers with the girls; then one night, Tori stopped me and said "No, no, no!!! Her name is Aurora!!  You have to call her by her name and her name is Aurora!!"

Aurora is not the name we originally had picked out and wouldn't necessarily have been one on our list, but Tori has remained adamant that this baby's name is Aurora.  If she catches me slip up and say "Baby," she will almost always correct me.  If we ask her about the baby's name to see if she has changed her mind, she has remained consistent that little sister's name is, in fact, Aurora (except for a time or two when she told me that it should be "Cinderella"...usually when she is wearing her Cinderella gown).

Given her insistence, Chris and I thought that we should maybe consider Aurora as a name.  We had all but reached a concrete decision, but the other night I started questioning it and wondering how I felt about choosing a name for our angel that we wouldn't normally choose for a baby.  So Chris and I sat down to talk about it...and that man never ceases to amaze me.  He said it so simply, but could not have said it more perfectly:

"Tori isn't going to be able to play with her sister and she isn't going to be able to teach her to walk like she wants to.  There are so many things she won't get to do...but she can do this.  She can give her a name."

I got tears in my eyes then, just like I did now as I retype his words.  There could not have been a more perfect way to sum things up.  So between the wisdom of my husband and the enthusiasm of my oldest daughter, they have picked a beautiful name for our beautiful angel.

Aurora.

"We can only appreciate the miracle of a sunrise 
if we have waited in the darkness."
~Author Not Known~

1 comment: